We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

House Shares/Houses of Multiple Occupation

October 11, 2018 3:04 PM

House Shares/Houses of Multiple Occupation - more need to be registered.

From 1 October 2018, significant changes were made to which HMOs are licensable and minimum room sizes.

A house in multiple occupation is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 'household' (i.e. a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen.

HMO's previously required a licence if they were constructed of three or more storeys, contain 5 or more people that form 2 or more households.

From 1st October 2018 the legislation removed the 'storey' element from the definition and included minimum room sizes.

Should a property meet these criteria, they must have a licence. Obtaining a licence increases the protection of residents through the various conditions which include increased fire safety provisions and minimum amenity provisions. These licences are granted for a five year period and have a fee, which is based on the numbers of lettable rooms within the property.

The application process and fee structure should be available on the website of the relevant Council -Borough or Unitary..